Thursday, October 09, 2008

My *bad* College Essay

I found a manila envelope the other day, while going through my old stuff for a tag sale and trying to de-thing my life. In it were relics from my high school days: National Honors Society letters, Student of the Week notices, various awards and youth leadership invitations, and my college application stuff. (Yes, I was a total nerd! But I totally own that nerdiness. In fact, I am proud of it!)

Eight years later, I have gone to college--undergraduate and graduate--and I have begun working full time as a teacher. An English teacher, at that. As an English teacher--a composition teacher, at that--I am disappointed with my College Essay. To say the LEAST. I know I was capable of much much much more!

I think the problem was the lack of instruction we received. I was never taught how to approach this type of writing. In fact, I don't remember ANY of my writing instruction between the 7th grade and my freshman year at UNH. Perhaps I blocked it out for various reasons, or perhaps it just wasn't there. I'm afraid the latter is true.

So here's the plan: I will rewrite my college essay, perhaps in a few different ways, and show my students the comparisons!

This could be quite amusing.

___________________________________________________________

My First Dance Recital
Written circa 1999

The first time that I stepped out under those bright stage lights and heard the music reverberating throughout the auditorium, I was addicted to dance. The attraction wasn't only to the dancing itself, but to everything surrounding the art. I fell in love with the studio, the dance classes, and the teachers. I was overcome with excitement when getting into costume and dancing for an audience. This all encompassing passion for performance has stayed with me ever since.

Dance and performance have been catalysts to my involvement in many other facets of the fine arts, including instrumental and vocal music, musical theater, and drama. I've also worked as an assistant dance teacher for my studio and student choreographer for school and town musical theater productions. Not only do I enjoy participating in these activities for myself, but I get an incredible sense of accomplishment from helping and teaching others in the areas that I love.

Performance has allowed me to utilize my bright and dramatic personality, as well as my talents for leadership and organization. For me, there is no greater satisfaction than the appreciation received for a performance, whether my own or that of my students. The only thing that comes close, is the unconditional and loving support from my students, mentors, and fellow thespians.

I would be incomplete without dance, theater, music, and performance. The course of my life would have been entirely different if I hadn't taken that first tap class and performed in that first dance recital.

No comments: