Saturday, August 01, 2009

Again

Amiga, amiga.
Good price for you.
Almost free today.
Bonita.  Guapa.  
Whistles.  Kiss faces.
Honking.  Waving.

But then there is 

The poor woman, 
sitting demurely
outside the church.

Skin dark, wrinkled,
like leather,
curled into the rough, rocky wall, 
her hand quietly cupped,
silently asking for help.  

Can this be called begging?

She utters not one word.
Not one sound escapes her lips.
She never raises her eyes to meet ours.

But, then again,
mine never stooped to meet hers.

We were both there, 
in that moment,
quietly avoiding 
the other's
eyes.

Both
crying inside.

Wondering why Fate
placed us together in 
this moment
on opposite sides.

I am haunted by these images,
by the outstretched hands, 
the crumbled humanity that
surrounds us all.

I am paralyzed by my brain.
By the thinking-too-much-
syndrome.

Will they use this money for food? 
For drugs?
Are they truly poor?
Is this just a front for greed?
For laziness?

I hate that I dare to think these things.

How dare I assume anything about 
anyone. else.

We all have our own issues, 
our own challenges,
our own demons.  

Here I stand, again.
Plagued with guilt, again,
Because I turned a blind eye.

I looked away.  
Walked away.

I kept my bleary eyes up, again, 
when Need sat quietly below.  

1 comment:

starz said...

damn. and killer closer!