Monday, May 25, 2009

The Pro-Con List

In trying to decide what is causing my discontent at work, I came up with the following list.

The positive parts of my job--
  • Helping kids, being a positive influence in their life.
  • Supporting a life of thoughtful consideration and curiosity, of awareness, of creativity, and of self-expression.
  • I have the opportunity to participate and facilitate theater and dance, and to advocate for the arts in public schools.
  • I sometimes have the opportunity to share and be excited about my passions and my concern for kids with like-minded people.  This is limited, however, due to the normal stresses of the job.
  • The people in this working community are wonderful and supportive, interesting and challenging.  They never fail to bring a smile to my face, even when that might be a hard thing to do.  They have become a second family to me.
  • I have a consistent paycheck with benefits.  I am putting money away for retirement.  This is stable.
The negative aspects of my job--
  • The correcting load, in addition to the other responsibilities.
  • Because I am overwhelmed with additional activities (by choice, I admit), I feel like I'm not being as good or as clear in the classroom (and out of the classroom).  What good am I if I am letting my students down?
  • While the possibility for a theater program exists on the horizon, I have no idea how long it will be before it materializes.  
  • I am supporting the students' creativity and self-expression, but I am stifling my own!
  • I've been questioning this career path THE WHOLE TIME I have been on it.  I went into it wondering, and it hasn't stopped.
  • Leaving would be a huge monetary risk.  And I have my Dad's voice in my head...
  • Teaching English was always the choice I made to be logical (here's that theme again...), responsible, to bring together pieces of myself.  But.  I am lost.  So I am worried that this is not working....................
Do I have the guts to do something about it?

No comments: